Thursday, July 7, 2011

One Sick Baby..

I had big plans last Friday to go shopping at two boutiques for Kinsley Anne on Friday after work. I had plans to get her a dress for the wedding at one of the stores & I had been eyeing a cute crab outfit for 4th of July for her at the other. These plans were quickly halted when I went to pick K up from daycare. I walked in and was greeted by the words, "Jen, Kinsley's just not acting right." I asked how so & they said that she just wanted to be cuddled all day. I asked "where is she?" not seeing her crawling around in the toys like she normally is. They pointed to her crib & there was my sweet baby, just laying on her tummy, covered in a blanket, staring at me with big sad eyes. I asked if they took her temp & they said that it had just recently been 100.4. I got on the phone with the pediatrician while I packed things up & headed over to the pediatrician's office.

I don't like to see my girl sick, but it sure does make her 1 heck of a good cuddler!

By the time we got there, her temp was 101 & she was pale. They hooked her up to the O2 Sat & it was 94%. They tried multiple other times & could only get 94-95%. That's when I knew we would be there a while. The doctor came in, did her exam and found no ear infection, red throat, etc. When I undressed K to weigh her, I had also noticed a little rash on her trunk and upper thighs. Dr. M said that it was likely a virus but since they couldn't find a source for fever, she wanted to rule out a UTI. My sweet girl had to be cathed, which of course she hated, but the urine was negative. Then, we went back and forth....probably a virus because of the rash, but should we get a chest XRay? Dr. M said she felt like her lung sounds were diminished on the left (which isn't shocking considering that's her smaller-than-normal lung). She eventually said that she wouldn't sleep at night if she didn't get the xray. So, we got that done, and returned to the peds office again. Pneumonia... yep, my little K has pneumonia. We started antibiotics that night & also started up her breathing treatments again. How did this happen in July?!

not the greatest picture, but you can see the rash that spread to her face

Her rash got worse as the weekend went on & on Monday, we returned to the pediatrician. By this point, her rash had some petechiae. We had to get some blood work as a result but everything turned out great. She had pneumonia with a virus on top of it that caused her rash. Poor, pitiful girl.

& now I'm back to being a happy girl!

All in all, she is MUCH better. More playful, the rash is finally subsiding (today is day 7 of the rash), and she is just getting breathing treatments as she needs them. She gets "rechecked" by the pediatrician tomorrow & she goes to see her pulmonologist Monday as a routine followup (timely, right?!). I don't think there is any hope of her weaning from her Advair soon after this little episode....oh well, we'll do whatever it takes to keep our girl happy & healthy!

Until Next Time...
Love, Jen

No comments: